Lentils and Spinach Soup – Lina SaadAdvertisement Advertisement
This is one of my favourite soups. The combination of lentils and spinach is incredibly delicious, with the former going very well with any form of green and citrus combination.
It’s quite a healthy starter too so you can eat the soup, relax for a while, before commencing on to your dinner. This recipe serves 6.
- 1 bag of baby loaf spinach or 2 bunches washed and cleaned thoroughly (if you are in tot bunches); make sure all tho soil is removed before chopping roughly.
- 1 cup of green lentils, washed with warm water and cleaned of any stones or unwanted grains.
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced to trenches.
- 20 ml olive oil.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- 1 vegetable stock cube.
- 1 tsp salt or to taste.
- Juice of 1 lemon and another lemon for extra. Garnish at service.
- 1.2 litres of boiling water.
- 50 g toasted pine nuts to scatter at service.
- In a pot, add the olive oil and saute the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the washed spinach and let it wilt and cook on relatively medium heat while stirring from time to time.
- Add the rinsed green lentils and keep stirring; reduce the heat to the lowest and cover with a lid; allow to steam for about 10 minutes with a stir. Check within 5 minutes.
- Season with the chicken stock, salt and ground cinnamon and then add the juice of the lemon, give it a stir and cover all with water.
- Allow to simmer on relatively low heat for about 45 minutes or until the green lentils are mature enough.
- Serve in a bowl with extra wedges of lemon and some of the toasted pine nuts.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!