Mesa Kitchen Opens in Southgate for Lunch TodayHALAL STATUS Fully Halal food menu. FULL REVIEW feedthelion.co.uk/mesa-kitchen-turkish-southgate
The people of North London will no doubt be heading for lunch this afternoon to the newly opened Mesa Kitchen & Lounge in Southgate.
Serving the delights of Turkish and Mediterranean cuisine, the 150-seater restaurant’s brunch menu not only has your typical Turkish breakfast of sucuk, hummus, imam bayildi and sour dough, but also its signature breakfast of grilled merguez sausage, turkey bacon and potato pancake.
‘Mesa’ is the Ottoman Turkish word to describe the onset of evening; hence, once brunch comes to an end by 4pm, dinner will be made available from 5pm till late.
A range of Turkish food cooked on a traditional charcoal grill, including continental dishes and the old favourites like burgers and steaks, are on this menu.
For starters, expect the usual including chicken liver, falafel, hummus (of course), feta samosas, grilled sucuk, and imam bayildi.
The ‘Charcoal Grills’ section will offer the kebabs that makes Turkish food so appealing, thus: lamb and chicken shish, or a mixture of both; adana kebab; lamb chops; and a mixed grill.
But it’s Mesa’s ‘Specials’ that appears to set them apart with dishes that include:
- Mussels cooked in marinara sauce and served with chips.
- Wild mushroom risotto with cherry tomato, spinach topped and truffle oil.
- Chicken Tikka Risotto with mushrooms, creamy tikka sauce topped with parmesan shavings.
As well as some intriguingly peculiar burgers that demand attention:
- Mexican beef burger with guacamole and jalapenos, turkey bacon, onion rings, with side red cabbage slaw.
- Diced Salmon Burger with spring onions, coriander, red chillies, and wasabi mayo served with side red cabbage slaw.
- Roast rib eye burger with buttered savoy cabbage, caramelized onions, horseradish cream fresh topped with beef gravy served with red cabbage slaw.
It should also be noted that while Mesa’s food menu is entirely Halal, they do serve shisha, to be had in their “all-weather secret garden”, as well as alcohol.
Mesa Kitchen & Lounge
52 High Street, Southgate, London N14 6EB.
Opening Hours: Mon-Sun (Brunch) 11:00-16:00 | (Dinner) 17:00-late