Chapli Kebab Burger – The Modern Pakistani Cookhouse
By The Modern Pakistani Cookhouse
To make this Chapli Kebab Burger in a brioche bun, I used 1 kilo lamb mince to which I added the following in approximate measures, but mostly all to taste (note: there was plenty of the mixture left for meatballs or more kebab/ burgers; so you can refrigerate the remainder for another meal, or cook it all – as you wish).Advertisement
This keema mix can be used for skewered kebab (seekh) or for keema naan (homemade naan filled or topped with this raw lamb mixture and then cooked with ghee / butter on a hot skillet).
- 2 tspn paprika.
- 1-2 tspn chilli powder 1 tspn cumin powder.
- 2 tspn garlic powder 1 tspn coriander powder 1/2 tspn turmeric.
- 1/4 tspn cinnamon 1/2 tspn dried pomegranate powder.
- 2-3 tspn pomegranate molasses.
- 1 tspn black pepper.
- 2-3 tspn Himalayan pink salt.
- 1 tspn finely chopped ginger.
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped.
- Small handful fresh mint finely chopped (coriander works too).
- Half a pomegranate (retain half the seeds to press into the surface of your kebabs and scatter at the end).
- Mix all the ingredients into the mince and kneed it in so that it is properly incorporated.
- Take a little bit of the meat and either put in a pan to cook or place in the microwave for 30 seconds so to taste if the seasoning/ spice is to your liking. This is where you might need to adjust it by adding more chilli/salt/ the sour element (from pomegranate powder/ molasses if you like). Very important to taste.
- Form flattish patties or thicker burgers *press some pomegranate seeds into the patties.
- Place carefully into a pan / skillet with a little olive oil and fry on medium-high till cooked and a little scorched.
- Serve with naan, salad and raita, or in burger buns (like I did) with your choice of accompaniments/ condiments and some pomegranate seeds scattered in if you like. I assembled my burger with thick slices of beef tomato, and a little spicy coleslaw on the side.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!