Chicken & Fenugreek Curry – Curry On Halima
By Curry on Halima
This delicious chicken curry is prepared using both fresh and dried fenugreek.
The earthiness of the fenugreek paired with the sweetness and tanginess of the tomatoes makes it super yummy.
Serve with boiled rice, naan or chapattis.
- 1 medium chicken (curry cut pieces) or 1 kg of chicken breast cubes
- 2 large onions, blitzed down into a paste
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2″ piece of ginger
- Green chillies to taste
- 250g cherry tomatoes, cut in half 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 80g Greek yoghurt
- 1 large bunch of methi (fresh fenugreek), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 50g butter Oil for cooking
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 level tsp chilli flakes
- 1 level tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and throw in 3 green cardamom pods. Fry over medium heat until they start to sizzle and release their aroma.
- Add in the blended onions along with quarter tsp of salt and fry over high heat for 2-3 mins. Cover and cook on low for 5 mins, so that the onions can soften.
- Increase heat to high and add in the chicken. Fry well until the chicken has completely changed colour and its meat juices have dried up.
- Blitz together the garlic, ginger and chillies and add to the chicken. Fry well for a good few mins.
- Add in the tomato purée and cook for 3-4 mins so it’s completely mixed in.
- Add in salt to taste along with the chilli powder, chilli flakes and ground turmeric. Fry for 4-5 mins.
- Add in cherry tomatoes and mix through. Cover and cook on low for approx. 10 mins. The tomatoes should have broken down and released their juices by now. Increase heat to high and fry until the oil surfaces to the top.
- Turn the heat down to low, add in the Greek yoghurt and mix in well. Once the yoghurt is fully blended in, increase heat to medium/high and fry until the oil has risen to the top again.
- Now, add in the fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) and mix through. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 mins, just so the methi has wilted down.
- Once the methi has cooked down, increase the heat to medium/high and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Scatter over the kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and place the butter down in a few places. Cover and cook on high for a couple of mins.
- Take off the heat, mix through and serve immediately.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!