Hearty Halal Breakfasts in South London
It’s not for nothing that breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, even more so, of course, when it’s Halal and healthy.
This meal ends the overnight fasting period and replenishes the supply of glucose, as well as other important nutrients, to keep our energy levels up right throughout the day.
So to help you kickstart yours, here’s a comprehensive list of restaurants and cafes across South London that offer good Halal breakfasts.
CoffeeMax opened in 2005 as one of the first fully Halal Italian restaurants, and that too HMC-approved. With 50 covers, this restaurant serves a la carte lunches and dinner.
More importantly, it does a fantastic Full English, personally enjoyed and endorsed as delicious by FtL, of eggs, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, sausage, Turkey bacon, hash browns, and toasts for £6.99, and £7.99 with a drink.
They also have an extensive menu list of: Second Piatti (Fish), Paninis, Appetizers, Side Dishes and Salads, Pasta & Risotto, Jacket Potatoes, Meat Dishes that include steaks, Burgers, Pizzas, Desserts, Max Cocktails, Juices, Shakes, and of course their famous teas and coffees.
CoffeeMax delivers via: Deliveroo, Just Eat and UberEAT.
With its first eatery opening in 2008, and its first opening outside of Greater London, Manchester, in 2015, Comptoir Libanais, which means ‘Lebanese counter’, offers Lebanese food in a souk-like setting.
It also offers two types of breakfast:
Deriving its name from the legendary warriors of Mughal governed India, and with a theme that takes inspiration from this, Dawat is a restaurant with touches of contemporary India and aristocratic Bengal, to a grand grade listed Georgian cellar.
As such, it doesn’t exactly dish up a traditional Full English as much as it does a traditional Indian one, and that too only during the weekends. In this case, Halwa, Puri (x2) and Chanai (chick pea curry) for an even £5.00.
Karachi Cuisine was opened in 2007 at a time, it says, when there was a lack of quality restaurants serving fine Mughlai Pakistani cuisine.
As to their breakfasts though, then these are served only during the weekend in the shape of the traditional Halwa Poori, £5.99, with the option of a Doodh Patti Chai, £2.49.
Café Noir is a small, inconspicuous cafe in Camberwell with a defined menu. As to their breakfast menu, then they offer:
- Salmon & Scrambled Eggs Toast £5.50
- Spinach Cheese Omelette & Salad £4.50
- Ham & Cheese Omelette & Salad £4.50
- Cheese Omelette & Salad £4.00
37 Camberwell Church Street,
London SE5 8TR
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 7:00-19:00, Sat 8:00-19:00, Sun 8:00-18:00
Don’s Hut is a Caribbean cafe on Garratt Lane in Tooting that does a number of well-known, traditional breakfasts from that part of the world that include:
- Ackee & Saltfish £4.50
- Callaloo £3.50
- Fried Fish Breakfast £2.75
- Pattie & Coco Bread £2.50
- Dumplings £0.70
- Porridge – price varies £3.00-£3.50
840 Garratt Lane, Tooting,
London SW17 0NA
T: +44 (0)20 8767 9303
Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 8:00-23:00, Sun 12:00-20:00
Situated in Brixton and serving food 24 hours a day, Refill takeaway has a huge selection of traditional meals like Curry goat, Jerk chicken, rice and peas, dumplings and patties, as well as a variety of West Indian influenced meals with a twist, such as, peel peel prawns, stir fried noodles and chilly garlic wings.
But it’s their breakfast, of course, that we’re here for:
- Ackee and Saltfish S: £6.00 L: £ 7.50
- Salt Mackerel & Banana £5.00
- Liver & Banana £4.50
- Kidney & Banana £4.50
Tartine Artisanal’s menu consists mostly of traditional North African/ French/ Mediterranean dishes with “twists”, and even promote a Loyalty Card which can be used at both their Tooting and Balham cafes.
Their breakfasts are available until 11am weekly, but 5pm on weekends, and comprise of:
- Tartine Full Breakfast £7.45 – Turkey Bacon, sautéed potatoes, mushrooms, tomate provençal, fried or scrambled egg served with French toast
- Tartine Full Vegetarian Breakfast £7.45 – Veggie sausage, mushrooms, sautéed potatoes, tomate provencal, fried or scrambled egg and Brie, served with French toast
- Eggs Royale £5.85 – poached eggs and smoked salmon on toasted brioche with hollandaise sauce served with mixed salad
- Eggs Benedict £5.85 – poached eggs and ham on toasted brioche with hollandaise sauce served with mixed salad
Affogato is a café and a dessert parlor that boasts, among other things, an extensive gelato range.
They also have a variety of breakfast items available from 9am-12pm among that include – The Benedict, The Hedderman, and The Shakshuka, as well as:
- Full English £7.50 – beef sausages, bacon, beans, fries eggs, mushrooms, vine tomato, hash brown, and toasted bloomer (free Americano or English breakfast tea), eggs – scrambled £1.00, drink upgrade – all tea & coffee £1.00, juice & smoothie £2.50
- The Veg English £7.99 – vegetarian sausage, halloumi, beans, fried eggs, mushrooms, vine tomato, hash brown, and toasted bloomer r (free Americano or English breakfast tea), eggs – scrambled £1.00, drink upgrade – all tea & coffee £1.00, juice & smoothie £2.50
1457 London Road,
London SW16 4AQ
T: +44 (0)20 3620 9815 | W: www.facebook.com/norburysw16
Opening Hours: Mon-Wed 9:00-17:00, Thur-Sat 9:00-19:00, Sun 10:00-19:00
Al Arez is a Lebanese cuisine café and juice bar that has a number of branches. The one in Knightsbridge, appropriately dubbed Al Arez 2, offers an extensive Lebanese breakfast menu that deserves to also be extensively quoted here:
- Fried eggs with Lebanese spicy sausages Egg & Kawarma £7.50
- Fried eggs with Minced Meat Foul Maudamas £7.00
- Grill Cyprot Cheese served with Grilled or Fried Kallaj Grilled £6.00
- Lebanese bread with Halloumi Cheese Fattah Lamb £7.75
- Fried minced meat, Chick Peas, Yoghurt, Fried Bread, Pine Nuts Fattah Lsanat (Tongues) £7.50
- Fried lamb tongues, Chick Peas, Yogurt, Fried Bread, Pine Nuts Fattah Hummus £6.75
Al Arez 2
128 Brompton Rd,
London SW3 1JD
T: +44 (0)20 7584 0390 | W: www.alarez.co.uk
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 12:00-00:00, Weekend 10:00-00:00
The Island Café is exactly that, an island cafe, that offers Mediterranean Food.
With a varied menu including a buffet service and outdoor seating with the option of Shisha, The Island Café offers a Full English Breakfast for £4.80, Scrambled Egg (2 eggs) on Toast for £2.80, and a Scrambled Egg and Bacon on Toast for £4.20.
Sponsored by: CoffeeMax