And the British Kebab Awards 2018 winners are…Advertisement
Halal kebabs were again acknowledged as some of the best in the country at last night’s prestigious 6th British Kebab Awards.
Some of the country’s leading kebab specialists gathered at the Park Plaza hotel in Westminster to celebrate all things kebab.
The biggest news of the night was Chef Mazlum Demir of Skewd Kitchen maintaining his winning ways by being named ‘Chef of the Year’ for a second year running.
Not only was Tarshish’s Lamb Shish FtL’s kebab of the year, with its Adana Shish being the Runner-up, but the Mediterranean Grill also went one better at the Kebab Awards.
Having won ‘Best Newcomer Restaurant/ Takeaway in London’ last year, it was voted the country’s Best Fine Dining venue.
As for the ‘Best Newcomer Kebab House in London/Outside London’, then this was Pircio in Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, which confirmed with FtL that it serves Halal chicken and lamb that is prepared and cooked separately.
Other Halal establishments that triumphed in the capital were Kingston’s Cappadocia whose ‘Traditional Turkish Cooking’ won it ‘Best Kebab Restaurant in South and East London’.
Ealing’s Ali’s Berlin Doner, which also runs a stall in Ealing Broadway Shopping Centre during the Christmas period, was named ‘Best Kebab Restaurant in North and West London’.
As for last year’s winner for said region, then Gokyuzu in Haringey, which opened its third branch in Walthamstow only last month, was considered the UK’s ‘Best Value Restaurant’.
The ‘Best Takeaway in London’ award was shared jointly by Wallington Express in Wallington, which offers a fully Halal food menu, along with a non-Halal Greek restaurant in Croydon.
Halal kebabs were well represented outside London too with Uni Kebab in Southampton receiving the ‘Customer Satisfaction’ award.
While Master Kebabs in Gillingham, Kent, which confirmed that “everything’s Halal”, won ‘Best Takeaway Regional’, the ‘Best Kebab Restaurant Regional’ went to “fully Halal” Turknaz Restaurant in Whitley Bay, Northumberland.
As for restaurants outside England, then Northern Ireland’s ‘Best Kebab House’ Chaska told FtL that it too was fully Halal, with Wales’ being Golden BBQ in Cardiff.
Launched in 2013, the British Kebab Awards was established by the Centre for Turkey Studies (CEFTUS).
The man behind the venture, Ibrahim Dogus, also revealed news of the first National Kebab Week taking place next year on Valentine’s Day.
With 17 businesses catering for Halal enjoying success at last year’s event, here’s a list of this year’s winners:
2018 HALAL KEBAB WINNERS
- Chef of the Year: Mazlum Demir, Skewd Kitchen, Barnet, London
- Best Fine Dining: Tarshish Mediterranean Grill, Wood Green, London
- Best Kebab Restaurant in South and East London: Cappadocia Restaurant, Kingston
- Best Kebab Restaurant in North and West London: Ali’s Berlin Doner, Ealing
- Best Value Restaurant: Gokyuzu, Harringay, London
- Best Takeaway in London (Joint): Wallington Express, Wallington
- Best Newcomer Kebab House in London/Outside London: Pircio, Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire
- Best Kebab Restaurant Regional: Turknaz Restaurant, Whitley Bay, Northumberland
- Best Takeaway Regional: Master Kebabs, Gillingham, Kent
- Best Kebab House in Wales: Golden BBQ, Cardiff
- Best Kebab House in Northern Ireland: Chaska, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh
- Customer Satisfaction: Uni Kebab, Southampton